Thursday, May 14, 2009

Today's likes and dislikes, or I'm going to have some fun today

I don't want to rant so much today. So:

I like: Kroger brand salsa. Trust me on this one. I've spent the big bucks on Newman's Own, a little less on Old El Paso and so on. But Kroger brand is less expensive and is just darned good.

I no like: The liars in our city Mayor's office who understand the people in this city just don't give a rat's pattootey about stuff like the $500,000 missing from the rape crisis center budget. The Mayor turns in his "balanced" budget and will never answer questions on it except in his own condescending, arrogant matter. And the people said, "AMEN!"

I like: The guy at my child's school who actually understood the bumper sticker I wrote about, "Twitter Proves The Mayans Were Right". He got it. There is intelligent life in Memphis.

I no like: Idiots in old pickup trucks who run red lights while talking on their cell phones. I see it every morning on Poplar. I want to say, "pickup, meet semi truck". But, like a Memphis police officer, there's never a homicidal trucker around when you really need one.

I like: Kroger-brand instant buttered grits. This is NOT a Kroger commercial, but if you like grits you have to try these puppies. They microwave in 45-seconds and are just yummy tasty. Seriously.

I no like: The City of Memphis recently fired a PR person who sent out an email telling local small businesses to apply for Stimulus funds headed here with which they could hire temporary help. Turns out the city wants to suck in the stimulus money and use it for, well, who knows what. I'm telling you if the Obama administration is serious about cracking down on waste and penalizing wasters, Memphis is ground zero. Hey, if the FBI can't get Willie's lying ass, maybe Obama can.

I like: Watching the students come to school every morning at my kids' school. Bright smiles, smiling eyes. It makes me hopeful for the future.

I no like: That this wonderfully thought-out federal stimulus plan, especially the billions for AIG, Chrysler, and GM, will have those same bright-eyed children paying for our mistakes into their retirement age.

I like: Staying up late with my eldest as he crams a book report into one long evening, and then seeing the thing turn into something outstanding of which he, and his parents, are proud.

I no like: Watching Paula Abdul deliberately sabotage Danny Gokey with a, by design, terrible song selection. I absolutely believe Abdul did it to help her favorite, Adam. Watching Paula fawn over those of the same persuasion as Adam over the years I am absolutely convinced this was deliberate. YES, I am bitching about American Idol. Deal with it.

I like: Ugly Mug Hardy Passion Bold Coffee. Ugly Mug is a Memphis-based company that pays higher prices for its coffee to support third-world coffee growers. And this particular blend is just outstanding. A TV friend of Bluto Blutarski's turned him on to it, and Bluto's eyes are opened each day by its pleasing taste and aroma. You can get Ugly Mug at Kroger and Schnucks.

I no like: Watching Allied Waste trucks spew trash as they travel down the street. It's a regular occurrence in my neck of the woods.

I like: Reading books to my youngest who, last night, brought me three books that all had variations of the "I love my daddy" theme. Daddy went to sleep very happy last night.

I no like: Watching idiots who watch as their children throw litter out of a car. My wife was recently behind such morons at a Wendy's drive through. The child in the back threw an entire bag of trash out of the window. My wife yelled they had dropped something. The mother: "oh they didn't mean to". My wife, "OK, but you should pick it up". The mother, "mind your own f--king business honky bitch." Teach your children, and yes Memphis reaps what it sows. But, does anyone care?

I like: Dos Equis Special Lager, in an ice-cold schooner, on tap, with lime. And that is a good way to end today's post. Maybe I was a bit short on substance today, but I just didn't feel like getting all worked up.

I also like: Listening to live Jimmy Buffet concerts on Radio Margaritaville. There's one tonight at 9:30 from Phoenix.

Tomorrow is national beer day, OK, maybe it's just Bluto Blutarski Beer Day, but whatever. Let's have one together, shall we. If you know who I am, you know where I'll be at 5:00.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home